July 05 2020
Seven dead as fire breaks out
13 December 2013

Seven people were killed and at least seven injured when a major fire broke out in a residential building, Mont Blanc, at Kemps Corner around 7.10 pm Friday.

The injured included four firemen and three residents.

“We have confirmed six deaths. The fire brigade managed to rescue around 25 to 30 people. The building had all fire safety mechanisms, which greatly helped in preventing the fire from spreading to upper floors,” said P S Rahangdale, deputy chief fire officer.

Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte was on the spot to oversee rescue efforts.

Among the missing were two of the family members of Dinesh Gandhi, producer of Tezaab, a blockbuster in late 1980s, sources said.

The injured have been admitted to the Breach Candy Hospital, Bombay Hospital and Nair Hospital.

According to the fire brigade, 14 fire engines and seven water tankers were sent within half-an-hour to douse the fire. The fire was brought under control by 10 pm.

The fire broke out on the 12th floor of the 26-storey building in August Kranti Marg. Each floor in the building has two flats. One of the flats on the 12th floor was occupied by Gandhi and his family while the other was undergoing repair works.

Chandan Yadav, who lives on the sixth floor, said, “The fire broke out due to a short circuit in a flat where some repair work was going on. No one was living in that flat.”

Residents also reported a cylinder blast in the building, which could not be verified immediately.

The injured firemen were rushed to Breach Candy Hospital. Dr Geeta Koppikar, medical director at the hospital, said, they had sustained superficial burns and were stable. She said several residents were brought with symptoms of asphyxiation, but did not require hospitalisation.

The building has one central lift, which 5-10 people used to get out of the building when the fire broke out. The lift was stopped soon after.

“Realising that fire had broken out, a few of us got into the lift and managed to come to the ground floor. The lift went.



Related Stories